Re: [linux-audio-dev] active sensing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] active sensing
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: to helmi  24 2000 - 21:34:57 EST

>In pbd's MIDI parser it indicates that system exclusive messages are
>terminated by any status byte, except for active sensing messages. Is
>this true in the standard, or is this just what most implementations do?
>
>Are standards compliant implementations supposed to deal if I hose them
>down with spurious EOX messages? Yes, I realize most implementations
>break under the slightest weight, but I'm asking about true standards
>compliant implementations.
>
>Is it worth it to go out and buy a MIDI spec?

Given that I just did, and that it cost $55 plus a 1 month delay: if
you want to just ask me, please feel free to do so. That goes for the
whole LAD community.

The relevant pages in the standard (or more precisely, "The Detailed
Specification") state:

page 5:

"Exclusive messages can contain any number of bytes, and can be
terminated either by an End of Exclusive (EOX) or any other Status
byte (except Real Time Messages)."

page 30: lists Real Time Messages:

     Timing Clock
     Start