Re: [linux-audio-dev] TimeSys Linux/RT(TM), a Real-time Version of Linux .. opinions ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TimeSys Linux/RT(TM), a Real-time Version of Linux .. opinions ?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ti helmi  29 2000 - 18:04:32 EST

>seems interesting ...
>
>http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=ColTsubWbtKvuvtaZmq&FQ=Linux&Nav=na
>-search-&StoryTitle=Linux
>
>any opinions ?

I see no mention of any actual times. I don't know anything about
CMU's Resource Kernel, but I have a hard time seeing how a regular
Linux kernel can ever be hard-RT when it is non-preemptive. Given that
any chunk of kernel code can call cli() and leave it that way, how can
you possibly have a real time kernel without changing the semantics of
calls like cli() and sti() ?

--p