Re: [linux-audio-dev] mucos/vst/events: heh, heh

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] mucos/vst/events: heh, heh
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: to maalis 02 2000 - 18:13:46 EST

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> charlie steinberg wrote:
>
> >>Well, to explain more... I was thinking about editors like piano-roll
> >>and score editor currently implemented in Cubase. It would be required
> >>that plugins get a message from a Cubase when a note in specific position
> >>is inserted/deleted and vice-versa...
>
> >event lists are beyond the scope of this api, sorry. they would make
> >the interface much more complex.
> >charlie
>
> no kidding! :))

Indeed; that is about database transactions for crying out loud! :-)

However, I don't see how this is related to the kinds of event system
that I'm working on for MuCoS, or the one that actually *exists* in
the VST 2.0 API...

The main difference is that MuCoS' event API isn't meant to emulate
MIDI as an extension to a traditional API, but rather *be* the
plugin API. Physically, the VST 2.0 event implementation isn't all
that different from that of MuCoS. They pass a table of pointers to
events, while I'll (most likely) pass a linked list of events.

I don't remember if you can *send* events from a VST 2.0 plugin,
though... I can't remember seing anything like that in the SDK.
Anyway, that's where most of the complexity kicks in, as you have to
specify an efficient API for dynamic memory allocation from within
plugins. That's what the memory buffer pools and all that is for.

Anyway, the reason why I haven't been able to release a working
prototype yet is that I've been working some 10-14 hours of day
lately. That, and being involved in various music projets, is
taking up about all the time I can spend on doing anything useful
without going crazy. *heh...*

BTW, I even forgot to publish those documents I mentioned... :-(

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'