RE: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: to maalis 02 2000 - 17:06:56 EST

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:

> state-of-the-art (including disagreements) on the LADSPA API at
> http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/ladspa.html rather than posting code to the

Btw; I like the name. It's has a LAD in it and doesn't remind of
any commonly known abbreviation.

As for the API, I think it's just what we need to get things going.
When the basic facilities have been implemented, it'll be easier to
start more detailed discussions.

I'm especially interested in control data routing. David said earlier
(correct if I'm wrong), that the transfering engine/host doesn't need
to know about the data that is passing through. However, someone still
has to know how to create the data, and thus the creating object has
to know about the target object. And when the engine needs to connect
these objects, it has to know whether their parameter-types are
compatible. In the end, all parts of the system have to
be aware of the various data types used. On the other hand, by using
very generic types (ie. floats), you avoid most dependency problems
and you get better performance.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing