Re: [linux-audio-dev] metering, patent avoidance: please disseminate this

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] metering, patent avoidance: please disseminate this
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: pe maalis 03 2000 - 13:48:33 EST

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
>
>Please copy this message to wherever you think appropriate so that it
>can act as prior art in the event that anyone attempts to patent this
>idea. Note that the source code can be found at ardour.sourceforge.net.

I will put it to my GASP pages after weekend with other antipatent stuff.

I would like to add following:
the meter could have different sampling rate than the audio signal
in which case the audio signal is decimated to meter signal with
min/max rule. Min/max produces two values per sample, so, both ends
need to be checked. Taking max(fabs(maxval),fabs(minval)) would
produce one value per sample.

Well, if you look at a wave editor having the min/max drawing style,
then a close zoom-in (1:1, say) doesn't always show how badly the signal
is recorded. When you zoom-out and see the big picture, it all is
clearly visible.

I think you should mention what are those out-of-range values.
I prefer user defined values, not 32767 and -32768 (say).

Also, one could use an approach which shows the levels the same way
than xload shows the cpu load meter. That gives plenty of time to
see what happened at coffee break.

Juhana