RE: [linux-audio-dev] MuCoS, Glame, API Issues

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] MuCoS, Glame, API Issues
From: Alexander Ehlert (ehlert_AT_phys.unsw.edu.au)
Date: ti maalis 07 2000 - 20:52:48 EST

Hi Richard,

> with the minimum of wrapping. No threads, no sockets (the host is free to
> use these if it wants), no events, even only one data type (float).

It would be no problem to introduce a property, where the plugin actually
defines the datatype it wants to use and the host would have to do the
right conversion. Wouldn't complicate ladspa too much I think.

> The current state of this is visible (messily, just to save posting it to
> the list all the time) at http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/ladspa.html. How
> would you feel about also supporting this API in Glame? - are there any
> tweaks you could suggest that would make it simpler for Glame to use
> without breaking it for other people?

It should be no problem to write a wrapper for ladspa plugins. But I just
like to know how you handle the case, when the output buffer is larger
than the input buffer, when you use effects like echo, delay, etc. The
host would have to send an extra zeroed buffer, that has for example the
size of the ringbuffer that has to be emptied. The host should be able to
query that, if not the host could still sent zeroed buffers and check if
they're coming back empty, but somehow I don't like the latter one.

Cheers, Alex