[linux-audio-dev] Analog plug-in

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Analog plug-in
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 12:08:37 EEST

Hello. In private discussion on the MIDI-controller matters, we looked
at a digitally controlled analog synth. That reminded me about an idea
to use a digitally controlled analog synth as an external "plug-in" in
soft synth. The "plug-in" would be connected to computer with audio A/D
converters (and perhaps with audio D/A converters if the analog part is
an effect device).

The motivations to use analog plug-in could be:
 -Generating analog waveforms would be faster
 -Parallel processing

The softsynth part could be used for extra processing: amplitude envelopes,
additional filters, chorus, etc.

I'm not aware of any system which combines the analog synths to computers
this way. Therefore this idea could be now patent free.

Juhana