Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Version 1 Released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Version 1 Released
From: Stephane Conversy (Stephane.Conversy_AT_lri.fr)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 18:41:47 EEST

with the examples given, I got:

$ ls -l plugins/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 conversy ihm 24896 Apr 2 17:20 delay.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 conversy ihm 25120 Apr 2 17:20 filter.so*

now if I
$ cat delay.c filter.c > foo.c

and tweak a little foo.c to make it compile I got:

$ ls -l plugins/
total 168
-rwxr-xr-x 1 conversy ihm 24896 Apr 2 17:20 delay.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 conversy ihm 25120 Apr 2 17:20 filter.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 conversy ihm 27168 Apr 2 17:22 foo.so*

What can we say:
plugins total size is linear with the number of files
if all plug-ins were in a single file, then plugins total size would be
equal to A+nB where n is the number of files.

I know plug-ins are easier to maintain when written in seperated file,
and with this scheme, we allow binary-only plugins.

One remark though: if plugin implementors could be kind enough
to make sure that global variables, functions, #define etc. are unique
across plugins, then we could do something like a 'cat', and
have only a small binary file for all plugins.

I don't know if it's worth the effort (after all we have a lot
of RAM and HD space by now)... With C++, namespaces and no #define
that would be easy.

About VST2: I filled a form to get the sdk. Am I supposed
to receive an ack from steinberg and then an url ?

--
Stéphane Conversy
http://www-ihm.lri.fr/~conversy/