Re: [linux-audio-dev] munlock and mmap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] munlock and mmap
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 07:17:03 EEST

>> also ruins the goal of being able to (at least optionally) record
>> directly into some "standard audio file format".
>
>Forgive my ignorance, when might it be useful/necessary to record
>*directly* into a SAFF, as opposed to post-process? Offline process?
>Save As...?

Lets say that you're in a studio. You've just recorded several (lets
say 10) tracks of an 18 minute piece. Now you want to edit it with a
non-linear, non-destructive editor, and then you plan to play it back
through your multichannel audio h/w.

Do you really want to have to convert 10 * 18 * 60 * 32 * 48000 =
1.5GB two times just to be able do this ?

Or alternatively, lets say you've just finished working with the
editing process in whatever non-SAFF format is used, and now you want
to convert to a SAFF. Suppose that the total data is 10GB, and you've
only got 8GB left on the drive ...

--p