Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thoughts on VST, LADSPA etc

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thoughts on VST, LADSPA etc
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 11:10:02 EEST

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:

> the rather clunky control input procedure (that will become very ineffic
> ient when fed a high rate control signal) and the [-1, +1] and [0, +1]

On some situations this (set_parameter()/get_parameter()) is not that bad,
as you can use set_parameter() to do precalculations.

> (2.2) LADSPA2 could be generated by extending LADSPA1 just to include some
> kind of very simple event mechanism, thus providing a logical superset of
> VST SDK2 functionality. I'm not yet sure this is appropriate. Also see (4)
> below.

First looking at the VST2.0 API (huge!) and then looking at the LAD
archives, well, it'll take us a few decades to reach an VST2.0 superset
we are all happy with. Sorry for sounding pessimistic, but as far as I
see it, we're back to square one. I've implemented both LADSPA and
VST1.0/2.0 (although can't publish this) hosts, but now it looks
like that neither of them is going to be used.

And one crucial question, whose going to write all this functionality?
Those of us, with the biggest plans ;), are among the most busiest people
on this list. If I need to have some of effects, I need them
now. Not because I'm impatient, but because there's desperate need for
*real*, *existing* audio tools for Linux. If these effects are not available
as plugins, I'll just have to write them myself. If there's no commonly
accepted plugin API available, I'll write them as native effects.

> (2.3) I think people should be welcome to extend LADSPA - perhaps with a
> comment along the lines of "system <xyz> is a [backward compatible?]
> extension of LADSPA version <n>, Copyright <etc>, available from
> http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/ladspa.html." This allows people to play around

Btw; no sign of GPL licence on ladspa.h ...? What's the deal this this?
I'd really like to publish ecasound's current LADSPA support (already
in CVS).

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .