ADAT clicks (was:[linux-audio-dev] munlock and mmap)

Subject: ADAT clicks (was:[linux-audio-dev] munlock and mmap)
From: Niklas Werner (nickgfec_AT_calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 19:19:25 EEST

Hi there!

> I haven't yet figured out (or checked) if the Alesis ADATs click, but
> I doubt it. I don't know know how they would avoid this. If they have
> an analog input signal, oh, sure ... they just put an analog delay in
> the path of tape monitor outs, and then when they switch back and
> forth between monitor in/monitor out, the digital signal from the tape
> is in sync with the delayed-analog signal. But this would imply that
> the analog signal is always delayed, which seems unlikely.

Well, ADATs don't click as a matter of fact. proTools doesn't click as
well! (at least I didn't have any clicks in my studio).
Maybe this is due to having it implemented in DSPs, instead of
"allround"-chips ???

There isn't a delay in the analog signal as you rightly guessed.

If you have digital input you can punchinout as well without clicks
(well, I'm in the fortunate position of having a gigantic digital console
to work on ;-) that does all the converting and syncing).

sounds like a hairy thing to solve, but:
As far as I know proTools is the only DAW that doesn't (at least not
audibly) click while punching inout. All the other native versions do
click! and nobody really cares, as long as it doesn't click in the final
recording!

> And if there's no on-the-fly-as-we-listen xfade, then life suddenly
> becomes unbelievably easier.

jupp.! definitely, although I'd really like the feature....

> Comments from anyone with studio experience ?

here we are that's me

have fun*

Niklas

Niklas Werner