Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio plugin API's: where are we ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio plugin API's: where are we ?
From: Jim Coker (jcoker_AT_jguru.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 20:41:05 EEST

James, you've mentioned before that you would like to add
an API to SC to allow users to write their own unit generators
for SC. How different would this API be from LADSPA
or VST, other than the memory allocation and bounded
start-up time issues? If it is very easy to port a suitable
plugin to either API, then absolute compatiblity
is less of an issue.

OTOH, I think immediate startup for a plugin is
very useful behavior and should be considered for
inclusion in LADSPA (or some extended version of it),
either as a requirement, or an optional capability.
Even if the host isn't doing the sort of on-they-fly
plugin/ugen graph generation that SC does, some simple
applications, like a digital mixer with switchable
inline effects, would work better if this requirement
is met.

Jim