Re: [linux-audio-dev] more numbers for multichannel playback

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more numbers for multichannel playback
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 07:07:41 EEST

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Paul Barton-Davis schrieb:
>
> > I am actually deeply troubled by my inability to get more than about
> > 10-15MB/sec from my nominally 80MB/sec drives.
>
> isn't 80mb/s the maximum scsi *bus* throughput ?
> iirc, no single drive will ever be able to even get near
> this. not sure, but even 40 mb/s from one disk sounds pretty
> unlikely. getting 80 out of the bus means raid. 10 mb/s is a
> good assumption for most disks, i think (not talking about
> 10000 rpm cheetahs here !).

I get around 30 MB/s from my 20 GB EIDE UDMA DiamondMax using FAT
or FAT32 partitions under Windoze. A good, modern SCSI drive should be
even faster.

I'll do some test on ext2 partitions and see what I get...

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'