Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio plugin API's: where are we ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio plugin API's: where are we ?
From: Richard Guenther (richard.guenther_AT_student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 16:07:10 EEST

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> >> But this is probably true for all other apps, too. That's why the
> >> common-denominator is important.
> > It is the other way around for SuperCollider.
> > LADSPA plug ins are not capable of being SC plug ins because they may
> > allocate memory and do not guarantee bounded start up time. They also do not
> [...]
> > So LADSPA isn't a common denominator. I don't think there can be such a
> > thing.
>
> Uhm, my messages have been exceptionally sloppy recently. Maybe I
> should spend a few code-free days. ;) Anyway, I meant to write 'common
> denominator approach'. As you said, finding a real c-d is impossible.
> SuperCollider is a good example of how apps require different things
> from the effect/ug interface. To resolve this problem, we (a) design
> a plugin API with a fat interface (tries to fulfill all requirements),
> (b) write multiple specialized APIs, or (c) a compromise API (=LADSPA).
> These are all valid approaches, but we can't pursue them all at the
> same time.

Btw. the more relevant intend of my (GLAME) reply was to stress that
GLAME will not switch to be a LADSPA host, i.e. it will keep its
special plugin interface. I suspect this is true for other projects,
too - so the point of having LADSPA is to write plugins that run
(inferior) on all hosts? This doesnt sound that interesting, though.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_student.uni-tuebingen.de>
WWW: http://www.anatom.uni-tuebingen.de/~richi/