Re: [linux-audio-dev] plug-in mania and the sound editor du jour

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plug-in mania and the sound editor du jour
From: David Slomin (david.slomin_AT_av.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 18:06:32 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> In twice that time, you've probably not written anything
> particularly useful to a musician unless it (1) is a plugin-like thing
> or (2) just deals with MIDI (David Slomin's wonderful "brainstorm"
> comes to mind).

Thanks... that just makes me glow. :-)

Your point is well taken... big applications require a different
development model than little utilities. Part of the success of
Unix is that there are very few big pieces, primarily the kernel.
Everything else is small and interchangable, allowing a lot of
development to be done quickly before people get bored or mired
in arguments / philosophical discussions. It's very pragmatic.

To me the question is not whether this is a good idea; it's only
whether it is feasible for audio applications.

Div.