Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions about real-time for audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions about real-time for audio
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 09:50:30 EEST

David Olofson wrote:
(re. realtime glitches)
> As a real time systems programmer/control engineer, I can't see a
> technical excuse for these kind of failures, and as a
> singer/songwriter, I can't tolerate time and inspiration being wasted
> due to tools built on insufficient platforms. Restarting Windoze due
> to an application crash once or twice a day is too much already, and
> that doesn't even happen when recording.
>
> Maybe I'm just a little oversensitive...? ;-)

I don't think so. In my town, the LOW end of decent recording
studios charges $500/day when they're giving you a real break. The
HIGH end charge many thousands per day when a big record label is
footing the bill. With these costs, there's a real premium on never
missing the good take, because it might take a day or two of hard,
emotionally draining work to get the good one recorded; the last
thing you need is equipment that just might glitch at just the wrong
time. There is no such thing as "too sensitive" here.

I've believed for a couple years now that the advent of Linux in
recording studios was inevitable, largely because if you want a
crash-proof digital recording system, you have to start with a
crash-proof operating system, and the idea that M$ or Macintosh
could provide that seems like a joke*.
You guys on this list are making it happen, and wannabe-hackers like
me will be very very grateful for it. When I can make sounds with
Quasimodo and aRts and record into ardour and mix it all in Snd or
some offshoot, and use LADSPA plugins in every app, and never have
the system die on me, it will be a great day.

*(Though OS-X might be a real improvement, who knows.)

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo