Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 04:47:50 EEST

>PS: Does anyone know how to make a RAW I/O device on a spare disk partition,
>and then put an ext2 over it (running the whole partition in RAWIO mode) ?
>Is that possible ?

I don't think so. The point of raw i/o is to provide character
device-like access to a device that would otherwise be a block device
with i/o through the buffer cache. Since all file systems under Linux
use the buffer cache, "putting ext2" over a "raw i/o partition" makes
no semantic sense to me. The buffer cache usage comes because ext2 is
a file system, not because of the kind of underlying device that its
data resides on. You could create an implementation of ext2 that used
video RAM as the storage medium, and access from user space would
still be via the buffer cache *because its going via a filesystem*.

At least, thats my understanding.

--p