Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]
From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct_AT_redhat.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 20:29:01 EEST

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 01:05:12PM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> 2) Why am I not having any of these problems ? Unlike Benno's code, I
> Seagate 4.5GB Cheetah U2W 10K rpm IBM 9GB UltraStar U2W 10K rpm
> Quantum 4.5GB Viking U2W 7.5K rpm 3 x IBM 18GB UltraStar

Ahh --- SCSI. The request queuing for SCSI is very different to
that for non-SCSI devices. The 2.3 kernel includes a new scheduling
algorithm that can significantly improve performance on non-SCSI
block devices where you have large streaming IOs going on.

Could people seeing bad performance on 2.2/IDE please try out the
elevator diffs from Andrea Arcangeli? Find them at

   ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.2/2.2.15pre17a/elevator-starvation-8.gz

--Stephen