Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 20:45:15 EEST

>> 2) Why am I not having any of these problems ? Unlike Benno's code, I
>> Seagate 4.5GB Cheetah U2W 10K rpm IBM 9GB UltraStar U2W 10K rpm
>> Quantum 4.5GB Viking U2W 7.5K rpm 3 x IBM 18GB UltraStar
>
>Ahh --- SCSI. The request queuing for SCSI is very different to
>that for non-SCSI devices.

Different enough that you feel its likely to explain the significant
difference between my experience and that of both Benno and Juhana
when trying to record to disk ? Is it different enough to explain why
the buffer cache write-behind batching doesn't seem to show up as a
problem for me ?

Stephen - thanks for paying attention and giving us time on this. I
know you have a lot to work on, and that HDR is not what most people
consider to be a hot Linux application; our little minority is pretty
fanatical :) The application I have ("ardour") stands in relation to
existing HDR systems in the same way that Linux or *BSD-based routers
stand to Cisco h/w, with the difference being that very few people own
the dedicated h/w yet, and so we have a real chance to provide a
genuine, new service for people by getting this to work.

--p