[linux-audio-dev] File writes with O_SYNC slow

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] File writes with O_SYNC slow
From: Karl JH Millar (kmillar_AT_MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 18:55:04 EEST

Hi,

I've noticed that file writes with O_SYNC are very much slower than they should
be. On my disk (IDE, DMA not working) hdparm shows me 4MB/sec data transfers.
Writing data using O_SYNC, I get less than 0.1MB/sec. If instead of opening
the file with O_SYNC I open it normally and follow each write with a call
to fsync, I get 1MB/sec, while doing the same amount of I/O.

This is all using kernel 2.2.14, and an ext2 filesystem.

What's going on here?

Karl.

(BTW Benno, putting a fsync(fd) after the writes in buffer.cpp on your hdrbench
gives me significant improvement)