[linux-audio-dev] Re: File writes with O_SYNC slow

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: File writes with O_SYNC slow
From: Karl JH Millar (kmillar_AT_MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 19:21:52 EEST

Stephen,

I've been trying writing blocks of sizes 256kB, and its taking about 4-5
seconds each (seek times can't be causing that unless I've got incredibly bad
fragmentation, but I know that's not the problem). If I change the size, the
time it takes is roughly linear in the amount written.

Furthermore, doing a write and then a fsync should be *just* as slow as a
synchronous write, but I'm measuring it as over 10 times faster.

Karl.