Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: File writes with O_SYNC slow

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: File writes with O_SYNC slow
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 20:20:18 EEST

>From: "Benjamin C.R. LaHaise" <blah_AT_kvack.org>
>
>> Furthermore, doing a write and then a fsync should be *just* as slow as a
>> synchronous write, but I'm measuring it as over 10 times faster.
>
>Doing synchronous writes involves synching metadata for every 4KB of data,
>not the entire 256KB chunk.

So, what will be the solution to the problem?

Can I format the whole partition and use it as raw data? That doesn't
need any metadata updating?

Can I make a file to ext2 partition, read where the blocks are located
with respect the raw disk, and use the disk as raw data? No meta data
handling.

Is this meta data related to ext2 or to kernel virtual memory, or to what?
I would like to get better insight to what happens there.

Juhana