[linux-audio-dev] Project management: my brilliant idea of the century (so far)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Project management: my brilliant idea of the century (so far)
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 08:58:55 EEST

It's amazing how creative having a deadline makes me feel...

So I'm sitting here avoiding work at the last minute reading csound
mail, when somebody mentions using 'make' to manage large csound
projects. That's something I'd thought of before, since I use make
to manage my band's website....

It occurred to me that a project management system like 'make' is a
really overlooked tool for a computer-based workstation. You can do
a lot of musical work with GNU make as it stands, but I think that
specializing the idea a bit for music could be a really fruitful
idea.

In fact I've just thrown together an ugly gimp mockup that gives a
vague idea of what's in my mind. Look at and read more at:
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/pw_linux/code.html#smake

("smake" seems like a cool name... means "sound-make", looks like
"snake"...)
Obviously some parts of that mockup are poorly thought-out, but I
think it gives the basic idea.

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.