Re: [linux-audio-dev] Random thought on HDR latency compensation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Random thought on HDR latency compensation
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 13:47:03 EEST

Tom Pincince wrote:

> Musicians don't monitor from the playback head but recording engineers
> do. This is called confidence monitoring, because the recording
> engineer can be confident that what he hears is exactly what has been
> recorded, and is a feature that differentiates true pro gear from
> semi-pro or consumer gear. I would want this feature in my next
> recording environment.

do you mean re-read the recorded audio from the harddisk to make
sure it's been written successfully ?
i don't think this is crucial, because if hd i/o fails or even has
single bit errors, pretty much everything goes to pieces.

as to monitoring after A/D conversion, this is definitely important
and a must on pro gear.

with 4-head DAT, replay after recording is certainly useful due to
the possibility of dropouts (tape errors, dirty heads, transport
problems etc.). but this shouldn't be an issue wrt hd-recording and
orders of magnitude larger buffers than on digital tapes.

just my .02 euro. did i miss a point ?

regards

jörn

--