[linux-audio-dev] preallocation speed-differences doubts solved :-)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] preallocation speed-differences doubts solved :-)
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 00:29:21 EEST

First,
thanks to Andreas Gruenbacher,
which told me I should look up the blocksize using debugfs.

In fact is was 1024 bytes, which is perfectly consistent with my
testresults.

I think that some of us were interpreting the
stat.st_blksize in a wrong way, the stat() man page says:
---------
The value st_blksize gives the "preferred" blocksize
        for efficient file system I/O. (Writing to a file in
       smaller chunks may cause an inefficient read-modify-
       rewrite.)
------

"preferred" is the keyword here, it's not the filesystem's blocksize
I think preferred means that you should use 4096bytes because it's
the dimension of a page on x86 CPUs.

That means for IO speed issues, we should look at the st_blksize,
but this has nothing to do with the filesystem's blocksize.

tschüss,
Benno.