[linux-audio-dev] we need a volunteer to ...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] we need a volunteer to ...
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 18:26:14 EEST

... write up a guide to using ALSA to connect:

    1) MIDI apps

       1a) via the new virtual MIDI module (ie. for raw MIDI access,
                   either via read/write or snd_rawmidi_read/write)
       1b) via the sequencer

    2) Audio apps

       2a) via the dummy soundcard driver (can this even be done ?)
       2b) via the loopback PCM device(s)

There are lots of questions coming up about this in many different
forums. I would love to do this, but you probably know what I'm
working on :)

These features are very critical to the next stage in the evolution of
audio+MIDI apps under Linux. They offer a non-proprietary, non-project
specific replacement for things like Steinberg's ReWire and Hubi's
MIDI loopback device under Windows/MacOS. If we can document how to do
this, and point people to it, we will encourage the construction *and*
use of truly flexible software.

--p