Re: [linux-audio-dev] A wrapper module for multiple soundcards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] A wrapper module for multiple soundcards
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 19:44:07 EEST

IMHO that "special /dev/dsp device" , would cause a lost of pain,
plus potential slowdown for some demanding apps.

The way to go is LD_PRELOAD using the wrapping lib for dumb OSS apps
and pcm_plugin + soundserver redirector for ALSA apps.

ALSA apps should always use pcm_plugin_open, except for
very low latency apps (but should give the user a way to chose the open method
to allow painless redirection to soundservers)

easier than that ?
:-)

Benno.