Re: [linux-audio-dev] the new SoftWerk

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] the new SoftWerk
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 01:27:26 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Note that SoftWerk does NOT use either the OSS or ALSA sequencers. It
> talks directly to your MIDI devices using read(2) and write(2). You
> specify the files, so you can use FIFO's as well. Contrary to a recent
> claim by Paul Winkler, it cannot write to stdout, though I may add this.

Whoops, that was a rash assumption.
I think I saw FIFO in your docs and assumed stdout too.

Quite a long time ago we had an email exchange about another feature
I requested, and I can't remember what you said. :) I found that
while playing with Softwerk it was easy to come up with a sequence
that sounded really cool but wasn't "phased" right -- e.g. I thought
it would sound better relative to what else was going on if the
sequence was shifted back by 3 ticks, so tick 3 becomes tick 0, tick
0 becomes tick 12 (assuming 15 is the end), etc. Make sense? (And is
it clear _why_ you might want this?)

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.