Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lowish-latency test results with kernel 2.4.0-test4

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lowish-latency test results with kernel 2.4.0-test4
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 20:46:42 EEST

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> >> Is it possible at all, that something undeterministic causes this spikes?
> >> Then it should be crond-problem, or a network running?
> >
> >In fact it might be cron-related - I forgot to check cron's activites.
>
> What distro are you using? My debian box has a cron task that updates the file
> index every day. It generates quite a bit of HD activity. I can hear it thrash
> my loud SCSI drive from the next room.

That's a simple update of the locate database,
(basically a find / ). And this causes a MUCH lighter load than
writing or copying a 100MB file on a big-RAM box.
So if the LL patch withstands this cron job, then you can throw it
away right now.

> In fact I had to change the launch time
> to 11:00 am because it kept waking my (now-ex) girfriend up on the weekends.

Hopefully the "ex" was not because the harddisk noise.
:-)

Anyway won't be able to sleep with such a noise maker in my bedroom.

Benno.