[linux-audio-dev] Re: a GPLed competitor to MP3 ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: a GPLed competitor to MP3 ?
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 13:17:27 EEST

after giving it a quick test, i found ogg to be quite decent
sounding, but i detected subtle pitch problems (a beat-like vibrato
on clean guitar sounds) and a slightly different overall sound than
mp3 (at first glance i would say less detail, but that's just a
first impression).

plus it seems that playback is slightly more cpu-intensive than mp3
at a comparable bitrate (xosview shows 26% peaks w/ mp3 and 33%
peaks w/ ogg, the peaks seem to be of the same length and interval,
but this is not a waterproof measurement !)
the encoder speed is at present not comparable to lame, but then, RT
encoding is not the prime goal.

if - as the ogg folks claim - there is room for tweaking and sound
improvement, hm, well, this might be something.

the developer site is
  http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/index.html

might it be useful to get these folks onto LAD, or would that be
outside its scope ?
(but hey, when we can talk about parsers, we can talk about codecs !
:)

regards,

jörn