Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 16:14:30 EET

>I wonder if that new Mackie hard disk recorder, for example, is running
>Linux inside? Why not?

I think I can say with fair conviction that it is not. It runs the
same OS as the Digital 8 Bus, which they call MackieOS. I don't
believe Mackie when they give the impression that they wrote their own
OS from scratch. I suspect they bought source from somewhere, but it
is definitely not Linux, at least as far as this kernel-hacker-who-has-
sat-in-front-of-those-systems-while-they-boot can tell.

Also, its not that clear that even one of the embedded versions of
Linux meets any of the standards for preemptability/latency that we
have discussed so much here. If *I* was designing the D8B or the
HDR24/96, I would probably start with Linux, but thats because I know
enough about unix kernels and linux in particular to hack it to
pieces. I very very much doubt that Mackie had that kind of knowledge
around for MackieOS. I could be wrong though.

--p