Re: [linux-audio-dev] gain curves, interpolation, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] gain curves, interpolation, etc.
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 07:50:41 EET

On Friday 01 December 2000 16:54, Benno Senoner wrote:
[...]
> If someone is able to demonstrate the contrary, then please ....

Knowing that it's easy to hear very minor distortion on a low
frequency sine wave, and even easier to hear any lost bits in the
amplitude modulation, I'm not entirely sure that we can safely assume
that you can't hear the waveform that's constructed from the linear
segments... This is a lot more sensitive than it appears at first
sight, in my personal experience.

The easiest way to find out (for me) would me to play some with that
modular synth engine (that never seems to get released...), as it has
envelopes with linear sections + high quality oscillators. (Bilinear
interpolation between prefiltered waveforms and other fun stuff.)

If I can't hear anything nasty in the phones, it *might* be ok... ;-)

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'