Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 06:01:58 EET

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Dan Hollis writes:
> >It seems to violate nearly every GUI rule there is. Knobs never belong on
> >a GUI.
> i couldn't find this rule at the isys site. even if i could, i reserve
> to say "crapola!". i don't disagree that there are better visual
> elements than knobs. mackie has a nice one, for example: a numeric
> display that works much the way my knobs do (simple vertical motion to
> adjust the value; step size determined by radial distance from the
> center of the element; direct text entry possible as well). but to say
> point blank that you should never use a knob - why not ban sliders
> too, since they are essentially the same concept as a knob:
> non-numeric visual feedback with mouse-motion adjustment for a value
> of some kind ?

Usability studies showed that knobs were the worst possible control for a
GUI. They are simply too hard to control and too prone to error -- a very
bad control for a MOUSE. Sliders are much better.

If you have a physical knob control in the real world, then an onscreen
knob would be fine. (Hmm... anyone up for making a USB knob controller? ;)

Sliders are not knobs, and not anywhere close to one. A slider is
controlled directly 1:1 position of the mouse pointer. You move the mouse
pointer and the slider goes there.

A knob with 1:1 position is too hard to control properly with a mouse,
and one with virtual-linked control (that is, vertical to control
position and horizontal to control scale of movement) violates intuitive
design for GUI. That is, why should I move my mouse halfway across the
screen to twist a tiny knob?

Now try adjusting 10 knobs quickly in a row, vs 10 sliders.

-Dan