Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rackmount

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rackmount
From: paul j botelho (paul.j.botelho_AT_dartmouth.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 03:35:07 EET

douglas irving repetto wrote:

> "Richard C. Burnett" wrote:
> >
> > I like the one at penguincomputing.com, their low end single space. I
> > think it would be a good machine to get, as I am thinking about getting
> > one too.
> >
> > Rick
>
> i believe the 1u has only one pci slot. i'm guessing that the built-in
> graphics aren't going to be great, so we'll need at least two pci slots,
> one for sound, one for graphics. i've got students doing installations
> and whatnot with openGL components, and man have we seen some slow
> graphics with stock cards on the machines we've gotten. you really need
> to get a card with decent hardware acceleration support, and even then
> i've found configuration to be pretty hairy.
>
> Erik Steffl wrote:
> >
> > I don't see why you wouldn't use server machine for your purposes. the
> > only difference is that servers are usually more expensive because they
> > use ECC memory, SCSI instead of IDE, SMP etc... so depending on your
> > budget decide how much of the really good stuff you need in the box. the
> > only extra thing you need is (better) soundcard and video card, but you
> > can even buy them separately and just stick them in. Check if the server
> > has enough free slots (I guess you want PCI for soundcard, AGP for video
> > card) but that should not be a problem with servers which are usually
> > expected to be expanded.
>
> price is an issue, which is why the server boxes are a little too high
> end. i'm loooking to spend <$3000 max, inclusive of sound/graphics.
> unfortunately none of the rackmount boxes i've looked at so far have AGP
> slots, which is a bummer graphics cardwise. the penguincomputing 2u
> rackmount has 2 pci slots, so i may go with that.
>
> Relion 200 X Server
>
> is the one i'm looking at.
>
> then again, p b-d has suggested building the machine from parts and
> putting it in a case by appro.com, which looks pretty doable too. hmm,
> lots of choices!
>
> .d
>
> --
> douglas irving repetto
> http://music.columbia.edu/~douglas
> http://shoko.calarts.edu/musicdsp
> http://music.columbia.edu/cmc/dorkbotnyc

Douglas,

    Be careful with fast graphics cards (or slow ones for that matter). I
have had experience with cards which hog the PCI bus and cause dropouts in
sound. I have had this problem with an el cheapo built in card with the
midiman delta 66. Although my experience is with a really slow graphics card
I have read that fast cards can hog the bus as well.

paul j botelho