Re: [linux-audio-dev] fyi: whats going on with ardour

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] fyi: whats going on with ardour
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 08:34:20 EET

On Wednesday 13 December 2000 21:13, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
[...]
> in the meantime, ardour has gained a 64 bus architecture. tracks
> can be assigned either to physical output channels or a bus. they
> will soon be able to be assigned to multiple busses (read: panning
> and surround sound).

Arbitrary number of sends, controlled via various abstractions, such
as direct individual send control, mono compatible pan, phase stereo
pan, quad-pan, 5.1 pan, arbitrary size speaker array pan etc...? ;-)

(Oh, you'd need to throw in some delays and filters and stuff in
there as well for the bigger models... OTOH, that sounds logical to
me, as it's all actually just different levels of panning.)

> the protools manual is a good read. some things are really
> amazingly bad: did you know that you have to restart your
> *computer* if you change the equivalent of frames-per-cycle ?

Seriously!? *heh* Amazing... How on earth did they do that? The DSP
box needs a reset from the PCI bus before it can re-enter the
initialization stage? :-)

> hell, i'm about to make that changeable directly from the GUI!

I've been thinking about how to make an engine capable of doing it on
the fly... :-) It was a good while ago, however, so I can't remember
exactly why I got the idea in the first place, or what it was
supposed to be good for.

One thing that springs to mind now is feedback loops involving
external units, still sticking to my initial idea that the main
engine thread should never stop until you shut down the audio
workstation environment for a game of Q3A.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'