Re: [linux-audio-dev] AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AKAI sample CD-ROM disk format specification
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 14:29:40 EET

> Stefan wrote:
> > FYI, there is code available in older aRts versions which reads AKAI sample
> > CDs,
> >
> > http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/~arts/download/arts-0.3.4.1.tar.gz
>
> Ah, thanks. I'm downloading it, and will check it out.
>
> - Jay Ts

An update...

I should have asked last time: What was your source of documentation
for that? I'm asking because:

1. I'd rather not look at C++ code.
2. I'd much rather have a spec/description to work from than someone
   else's code (no matter what language).
3. I'd much rather work from open documents than copyrighted code.

However, if it's ok with you that I learn to read AKAI discs from
reading your GNU-copyrighted C++ code, and use the information to
create a commercial product, please let me know (not that I necessarily
need your permission, but I'd like to ask for your approval anyway).

I'd probably want to release my derived code into the public domain,
though. Which is where I think it belongs. (Just the AKAI CD reading part.)

I tried compiling aRts/Ksynth, but it wouldn't on Red Hat 6.1. The
configure script complained that it couldn't compile a simple KDE app,
and quit.

- Jay Ts