Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters
From: Jim Coker (jcoker_AT_jguru.com)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 21:39:34 EEST

David Olofson wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > the big problem with the 2U requirement is that it needs a special
> > backplane, because conventional PCI cards won't fit vertically in a 2U
> > space. problem ? cost goes up, quite significantly.
>
> What's so terrible about 3U? :-) (Many samplers come in that size.)

3U would probably be fine -- more space for ventilation and
drive bays (CD/CDR/DVD) on the front.

BTW: here is an interesting page for those into
in embedded systems:
http://www.secs.oakland.edu/~haskell/newpage2.htm
It's a book on programming the 68HC12 (a very popular
Motorola micro-controller) using FORTH.

> > there is also a big problem with fan noise. i have seen some hints
> > that you can drastically slow the main power-supply fan on a rack
> > mount case to reduce the noise level, but silent it ain't ever gonna
> > be. not very nice.
>
> This is a good reason to switch to PPC G3 or G4 - only some 15% (for
> the G3 IIRC) of the power consumption of a P-II, and they seem to
> give more MIPS/MHz, especially for DSP kind of stuff.

They are very fast chips. Is there a reliable source of motherboards?
I saw some stuff at Motorola, but I don't know if anyone has gotten
PPCLinux to run on non-Apple hardware. Anyone have tips there?

Jim