Re: [linux-audio-dev] lets go compile ! [was: lowish-latency patch and toolchain]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] lets go compile ! [was: lowish-latency patch and toolchain]
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 15:50:27 EEST

John Littler wrote:

> quoting Jörn Nettingsmeier:
> [x]
> >
> > btw: is there any web resource on how to restructure one's system to
> > have a working fallback w/o fuss while being able to play with the
> > latest dev kernels plus the corresponding userspace upgrades
> > (preferably w/o repartitioning) ? i went through having 2.0 and 2.2
> > in parallel for some weeks and it gave me a headache.
>
> There are docs around I think but all you need to do is
> have a separate src tree for the compile. The new modules
> will be put in /lib/modules/2.x.x then you'll need to decide
> your naming convention for vmlinuz (ie. rename the old one
> vmlinuz_old or whatever) and then move the newly compiled
> vmlinuz to /boot and then edit /etc/lilo.conf and run
> /sbin/lilo. When you boot up you'll then have a choice of
> the old or new kernel... files on your system may differ.

yeah, this is what i have been doing. the really nasty problems
arise when you need to keep different versions of egcs, modutils or
ifconfig...
been there, done that with loads of symbolic links and got severely
pissed off :)
another nicety is that i tried reiserfs, and it's quite tricky to
get the reiser patches for the very latest kernel, and without a usr
and var partition there's hardly anything to test :(

but thinking twice about this, i think all you can do is have a
seperate .5gig partition with a separate system on it... :(
so it's repartition time again. where men are men.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier