(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
From: xfm_AT_free.fr
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 18:34:10 EEST

For the name, I propose Gloop (gnu loop), I find it funny. _I_ do.

> We need knowledgable people in the field of DSP processing,
> (who wants a sampler without FXes or filters?) , sample library

I may be of help, but what you mean here is of course a LADSPA hook+tons of
good ladspa plugins, or am I wrong ? Anyway, do you want to keep the thing lean
& mean (KISS) or do you want to make it a full featured (bloated) thing ? I may
sound negative here, but I would (suprisingly) be very in favor of a simple ,
screaming "sample playing kernel". (the performance you gave are astounding.
Which hardware has it been tested on ? solid state HD + Alpha 1GHz chip & 1GB
RAM ?) Just a personal opinion, though.

As a side note, am i writing a (yet another ?) composition tool in python (the
beauty of that language made me use it overnight ), which aim is to have non
realtime plugins (read python DSP & interfaces scripts) for composing great
sounds, and render them to .wav. Intermediary buffers would be stored on disk
(read non destructive editing), and linux would cache them in memory as he
wishes. Processing will be done with python's numerical extensions (read basic
blocks would be arrays of samples, a la Matlab). That would leave a simple, yet
EASILY EXTENDABLE ground to build in. Nothing new or exciting here, but I
intend to make this a really fine thing to play with, i.e. most effort will go
to the GUI interface, modularity, and CLEAR and SIMPLE CODE : you have (quite
high level) building blocks, a mouse and a fat hard drive, then you play with
this app, connecting things together and rendering you wav as you are finished.
I needed a way to play those samples (I intend to toy with signal
processing, "high level" programming and GUI, ___not___ system optimizations.
You guys are too far away in that ground for me) and this soft sampler is be
THE thing I wanted to happen. Bravo, Benno, bravo.

Another thing is, I think gnome (yes, it will be a bloated-yet-userfriendly-
whatever-this-word-means gnome-app) is looking for a replacement for esound
(though i'm not sure of it - don't flame). That app may fill the need here : a
very solid sample playing proggy with not too many bells and whistles - for
now, let's hope :) .

xavier moulet