Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk-based realtime sampler prototype released ! please try it.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk-based realtime sampler prototype released ! please try it.
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith_AT_bitworks.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 18:44:33 EEST

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:03:36 +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:

>nice, we could, as more name proposals come in , do a small votation. (to make
>anyone happy) ( but personally I care more about the code and algorithms :-) )

Works for me..

>> >How many are interested in contributing to this project ?
>>
>> At least 3. Count me and Mike Baily in.
>
>very good, what parts of the project do you plan to address ?
>GUI design (seem already done looking at your mail :-) ) and coding ?
>other engine related stuff ? (filters/FXes etc)

I am not quite sure yet... My experience is in embedded systems and I haven't quite decided
how that will apply... I am good at reverse engineering as well so if we need to hack
sampleformats I will chime up. I don't have any gtk, GNOME, kernel, or audio progrmming
experience so for now I am just going to keep trying to drive the features/specifications
of the project and perhaps fill in the gaps later.

>Of course we will keep the engine and the GUI separated and use some
>form of IPC to communicate with each other.
>This eases the development of both parts, and makes the whole stuff more
>flexible.

Excellent... This is exactly what I was thinking as well..

>Should you one day plan to build a headless rack with a linux PC in it
>which runs only the engine, then the client/server approch will allow you
>to interface the engine to buttons, serial ports , displays etc very easily.

Already there... Thats how I got involved in this in the first place.. Mike B. wanted me to
figure out a way to remotely control several giga machines in a rack for his studio.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith_AT_bitworks.com               501.846.5777