FW: [linux-audio-dev] disk-based realtime sampler prototype relea sed ! please try it.

Subject: FW: [linux-audio-dev] disk-based realtime sampler prototype relea sed ! please try it.
From: Garth Brantley (garth_AT_fullduplex.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 19:05:38 EEST

-----Original Message-----
From: Garth Brantley
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 11:58 AM
To: 'Benno Senoner'
Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] disk-based realtime sampler prototype
released ! please try it.

    Evo is a cool name! It may be a bit early to worry about the name but
you can never underestimate the drawing power of good aethsetics. hehe

> > A little more info on that topic. I went over to see Mike
> B. 2 days ago so he could show
> > me what he came up with for a feature list. I expected a
> simple list of generic vague
> > features. What I got was a 27MB worth of Word 2000
> documents where he basically built the
> > UI in Word. Complete with colored buttons and bitmaps.
> Click on a button and it loads up
> > a entirely new document for that screen. Plus he gave me
> detailed verbage on how he would
> > like each feature to operate. His project scope is HUGE
> with tons of cool features.
> > Basically he took the stuff he liked from all the programs
> he has used and then threw in a
> > bunch of stuff he wished they would do... Thus the evoloution theme.
> >
> > Anyway...I currently have him distilling the interface and
> features down into text. (or at
> > least HTML) so that I can post it here for RFCs. Also I am
> trying to get him to re-do the
> > UI into HTML as well so I can set it up on a web page
> somewhere for everyone to comment on.
>
> I suggest you to use wordview ( http://www.wvWare.com )
> which does the
> conversion to HTML quite nicely.
>

> > >How many are interested in contributing to this project ?
> >
> > At least 3. Count me and Mike Baily in.
>
> very good, what parts of the project do you plan to address ?
> GUI design (seem already done looking at your mail :-) ) and coding ?
> other engine related stuff ? (filters/FXes etc)

   Definatley count me in as well! I want to be in on the GUI design and
coding phase, particularly the program/sample editor portion.

> Of course we will keep the engine and the GUI separated and use some
> form of IPC to communicate with each other.
> This eases the development of both parts, and makes the whole
> stuff more
> flexible.
> Should you one day plan to build a headless rack with a linux PC in it
> which runs only the engine, then the client/server approch
> will allow you
> to interface the engine to buttons, serial ports , displays
> etc very easily.

    This is definately where the technology needs to get too! I cant wait!

> (perhaps you noticed the linux-embedded crazyness lately, seems that
> the world-domination will extend to embedded-audio too :-) )
>
> Benno.

 -Garth