Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency patch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency patch
From: Andrew Morton (andrewm_AT_uow.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 03:20:09 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> All in all, looks good, but this really
> should be tested on a uniprocessor machine.

Thanks, Kai. Good to hear.

The SMP case is somewhat of an unknown at this time. You'd expect it to
have better scheduling latency than UP, but Benno says that Ingo's patch
ran fine on UP but gave occasional 100 millisec glitches on SMP. Odd.

I've tested SMP stability but I have not yet investigated SMP scheduling
latency with (or without) this patch. The inter-CPU Pentium timestamp
skew upsets the measurement tools, so it's back to the drawing board for
a while on that one.