Re: [linux-audio-dev] drumset questions etc...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] drumset questions etc...
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 15:19:33 EEST

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, John Littler wrote:
> quoting Benno Senoner:
> [X]
> > Anyway I have a question now to you drummers / experts in drumsets on samplers.
> >
> > You know that when you play a drum set, pressing first the open hihat key and
> > then the closed hihat key, will cause the open hihat to stop abruptly even if
> > you did not released the open hihat key yet.
> > I plan to include this feature or drumsets will not get very usable.
> > But I need suggestions what kind of features traditional samples have in this
> > area.
> > eg. Would it be ok to say: the press of key Z will stop note triggered by key
> > X and Y.
> > Would this be ok ? So that every key press can stop n other notes arbitrarily
> > choses.
>
> do you mean these relationships could be set by the user?
> Or fixed with each sample set?

This relationship will be described in a mapping table.
(which gets accessed during at note-on time)
You can embed this table in the instrumentfile.
(which contains control,mapping and sampledata)

Nothing stops you to modify these tables at runtime,
provided that someone writes a nice GUI which does this.
I think by using a client/server model with separated GUI
we achive the best possible interfacing methods.
Some will prefer GUIs, other , shellscripts, and others
driving the engine by using external HW controls like buttons,
faders and displays.
(BTW: the closed hihat issue has not highest priority for now,
because the primary goal is getting the envelope/resampling stuff
going)

> Is it planned to be able to import different sample formats?

There are two strategies:
one will be to convert the stuff in our native format
(which has not been defined yet), and the other will be
importing on the fly.
I think the on-the-fly importing is much more pleasant since
it does not require conversion using intermediate files etc.
But some formats could be tricky to import
(because different sampleformat which would case a higher CPU
load during playback) or do not make sense like having a CD
(like AKAI) which does not use the iso-filesystem but has their
own format.

Anywav imports of WAV files would be quite trivial, and can
of course easily streamed from disk using the current engine,
since the data is in simple linear 16bit format.

> I guess personally I'd prefer to be able to set that sort
> of thing up or ignore it depending on the circumstances
> (the drummer has two hi-hats!)

Are you refering to the hihat stuff ?
As said above, all parameters are editable and nothing is
hardcoded in the engine, thus, with the appropriate GUI
editor ( which someone of YOU will write :-) ),
you will be allowed to change all in realtime with instant
WYHIWYG (what you hear is what you get).

> > What does mean stopping a note ?
> > Normall the open HiHat when you release the key will decay relatively slow,
> > but stopping it abruptly (eg when you press the closed hihat, the open sample
> > stops playing without any decay) does not seem the perfect solution to me.
>
> the sound of the closed hat is in effect the sound of the open
> hat closing/stopping so it seems ok to me.

Yes, but for the most paranoid of you I will provide crossfading
(which can be turned off if you don't need it) in order to satisfy everyone.

Benno.