[linux-audio-dev] EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler
From: larry d byrd (larrybyrd_AT_juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 20:46:49 EEST

Hey Guys,
Im going to jump the gun on the development of the gigaclone and take it
a step further to see what you think...

Outside of porting various formats over (which I have about every sample
library created in AKAI and GIGA format) how about a sampler that is
based on physical modeling or in the case Im discussing gesture modeling.
Kind of like the behavior sampling of giga but more complex..
[A yamaha VL1 meets GIGA meets K2500 meets EMU Morpheus type of thing]

Take the DSP process called audio convolution or morphing and integrate
the function as either a real-time performance feature (I doubt we can
pull that off) or a sample level DSP to the equation and you have a new
breed of HD sampler that can be very expressive.
You could apply the morph to say two opposing waveforms in a particular
instrument technique.( Soft Blown Sax sample) and (Overblown Sax sample)
and come up with
the inbetween states of these two physical states to be used to model the
physical elements of an instrument or come up with new unreal techniques
by interpolating
different techniques from different instruments at the two poles .

Now the problem with conventional samplers is that you cannot crossfade
between more than two keymaps.(not to be confused with cross-switching
which waits for a new midi note on before a new sample is triggered) . If
we can develop a structure that not only fades thru multiple keymaps thru
discrete zone enabling but use the morph DSP to create the inbetween
states of the two sampled techniques for smooth interpolation and realism
I think we have a new breed of sampler.(Breath Cntrl amplitude morphs
between states without re-trigger).

I have some HTML files on a very detailed interface blueprint for that
sampler which for the sake of discussion I would like to call it EVO
(Evolution or Evolver).
Evolver could be the name of the control source that enables the morph.?

I think the VAST style matrix program structure is the best place to
start for the sampler engine what do you think?..(Anyone own a K2000?)

I have many features that would make this sampler a winner but it would
take time to integrate them all properly..
One feature I also wanted to mention was something Im calling
auto-mapping which is basically a collection of DSP proccesses and macro
filing tables that make recording huge amounts of samples more of a
reality than a chore.
1.PITCH DETECTOR
[Detects the pitch of a recorded sample and files it in a temporary
keymap at the appropriate single zone automatically]
2.VELOCITY DETECTOR
[Detects the amplitude of each sample and stores it in a temporary keymap
at the appropriate velocity range automatically]
3.LOOP DETECTOR
[Finds a suitable sustain loop for infinite looping samples by comparing
ratio of size of sample and typical loop points for various instrument
groups and snaps to zero crossing
sections].
4.AUTO-LENGTH
[Sets the amount of memory or length of time a sample will be recorded
when the thresh hold function is enebled.] To save memory and to match
sample lengths together.
5.AUTO-FADE
[Applys automatic crossfades to the decay section of specific samples so
that all of the samples recorded in a program can be exact.]
6.THRESH HOLD RECORD
[A function that enebles the built in sample recorder when a preset
loudness is reached]
Should be in decibels and have a pre-roll state so that there is no
snipping off of attack sections...
I would love to be the first to make a 4 gig YAMAHA MIDI GRAND CD-ROM in
.evo
format..In fact I have a method of sampling the piano that could allow
for up to 32
velocities in pedal up and pedal down and release triggers and hammer
knocks as well
as tone control and mic placement modeling..
Anyway ,...Just some food for thought ..
We will post some more details later and I would love to get some
feedback on this.
MIKE BAILEY (NeXuS Studio)

*I can come up with a detailed block diagram of the program structure and
we can all hone in on it and work out the bugs...

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.