Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler
From: Karl JH Millar (kmillar_AT_MIT.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 01:33:32 EEST

>The envelopes have to be very efficient and using math does not make sense
>to me ( are you really thinking about calculating y=exp(x) at every iteration
>??)

Hey guys, you can do this very cheaply. Remember that if y = exp(x), then
exp(x+d) = y * (1 - d) is a good approximation for small d. For the
purpose of what you're doing you can iterate this at each iteration, and it'll
work well enough (as long as you have enough precision). You can play similar
tricks with most math functions.

Performance wise, this is better than lots of straight lines - it's less math
and doesn't use up memory (think of less cache misses). Not a bad deal.

Karl.

[Looking forward to finishing his thesis and having the time to get involved
once more]