Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime restrictions when running multiple audio apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime restrictions when running multiple audio apps
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 12:38:47 EEST

>From: Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
>
>Which byte streams do you mean ?
>The one inside ALSA or withing LADSPA (my multiple datatype LADSPA which
>allows streams of arbitrary datatypes)

Well, I'm thinking the core scheduler of the audio engine as its own
entity. It doesn't need to understand the audio data or any other data
its threads handles. It just schedules and makes/deletes threads.

The three thread version works well for existing soft synths but as I have
figured out, for example, the low-latency convolver needs quite weird
thread system. I think our core should allow arbitrary thread installments
and should provide a simple API for specifying them.

Low-latency convolver would need multiple FIFO threads with different
priorities. One of the highest priority thread should frequently put
low priority FIFO threads (which does have longer execution time) to
sleep (in sync, exactly at the same time) so that GUI and all other
processes can get their turn.

Regards,

Juhana