RE: [linux-audio-dev] Re: EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Re: EVO-Linux Physical Modeling HD Sampler
From: John Thaden (jjthaden_AT_flash.net)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 17:23:53 EEST

>>> 1.PITCH DETECTOR
>>> [Detects the pitch of a recorded sample and files it in a temporary
>>> keymap at the appropriate single zone automatically]

>> I think that there are some algorithms around which should detect
>> the pitch at semitone level.

>fine algorithms exist for this, but you can never get too accurate with
>noise or weird signals.

Detection of pitches to semitone accuracy simply isn't good enough
anyway. Keyboards are the exception among instruments--most other
instruments can be played with microtonal sensibility, with pitch being yet
another means for artistic expressiion. Even MIDI keyboards have
pitchwheels, and many have the option of being set up with tunings other
than 12-tone equal temperament.

John Thaden
Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
http://www.flash.net/~jjthaden