Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO spec 0.0.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO spec 0.0.1
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 23:19:39 EEST

>1.PICKED SAMPLES: (SAY 6 VELOCITIES PER NOTE )
> We just happened to be sampling in one out of seven playing positions
>on the guitar so
>we only sample say three octaves.(12 * 3 * 6= 216 samples)
>Now we want to be able to mimic picking distances from the bridge..
>We will sample new keymaps in three discrete positions .
>So now we have (216 * 3 = 648 samples) if we keep every keymap with the
>same amount of velocities and pitches.
>Then the pinch harmonics we need to sample as well..(stevies really
>starting to stink by now) ..
>So now we multiply 648 samples [which is the total amount of samples that
>make up this element] by 2 [which is the amount of techniques we are up
>to ] and we have 1,296 samples total for that instrument ..We could add
>more techniqeus at this point like
>finger picking,slide guitar,tap-ons,etc.
>But we need to get the another 40 gig hard drive ready before we do
>that..

Actually, no. Assuming 48kHz sampling rate, 24 bit (3 byte) samples, 3
seconds per sample:

    48000 * 3 * 3 * 1296 / 1048576 = 534MB

Not that bad at all, in fact, it even fits easily onto a CD.

If you double the sample length, then you're in trouble I suppose, but
one could use looping to deal with part of this problem.

But basically, people who want such "fidelity" - i personally would
just get a friend to come in and play if i was after this kind of
"human touch" - can easily accomplish this if they have a GB or three
of disk space.

They don't call it "GigaSampler" for nothing, you know :)

--p