Re: [linux-audio-dev] MTC, SMPTE, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MTC, SMPTE, etc.
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 06:01:20 EEST

>> Note, interestingly, how bad this is for the idea of using audio
>> devices as a timer for, say, the ALSA sequencer ...
>
>Well, only if you use one audio device for your timer and another
>for audio at the same time.

I don't think so! What we know is that 44,100 samples at a nominal
rate of 44.1kHz is *not* guaranteed to correspond to 1 second of
elapsed time. If you build a timer around this (e.g. the ALSA lowlevel
timer interface), and then use it for sequencing, its not accurate.

Obviously, this is all about "within a tolerance of X usecs".

--p