Re: [linux-audio-dev] 2.4.0test5-pre4-lowlat latencies benchmarked, 2.2.16+Ingo's LL patch = strange behaviour

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 2.4.0test5-pre4-lowlat latencies benchmarked, 2.2.16+Ingo's LL patch = strange behaviour
From: Karl W. MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 03:55:40 EEST

> Although better than standard kernels we are still about 20times worse
> than Ingo's 2.2.10/2.2.15 patches, and speaking in other OSes terms
> still 5-7 times worse than Windows/MacOs.
> So far for the 2.4 kernels.

I am curious where the worst case numbers for Windows/Mac come from. My
experiences with real world apps running on these platforms is that the
latency is quite a bit worse than linux (these are apps that don't use
special techniques to acheive lower latency - i.e. gigasampler). Also,
the only tests I have seen on Windows indicated that its average
latency was in the 150ms range (this was an ICMC paper by Roger Dannenberg
- I may be remembering that number incorrectly). Just wondering.

Karl

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| 410/659-8297 |